Your IP (Internet protocol) address is basically your home address on the internet; everything you do online is tied to this unique address and since the majority of people surf the web without protection then there is a lot of people vulnerable to attacks from hackers or wide open to be spied on from corporations and governments.
In the wake of the Edward Snowden revelations; in this day and age, it is VERY important to use a VPN (Virtual private network) to hide your IP address from the outside work because as we all know the US Governments NSA (National Security Agency) spy's on its own citizens and the citizens from around the world.
What is a VPN (Virtual Private Network)?
A VPN is something you use if you want to anonymize yourself when you use the internet; a VPN hides your IP address from Hackers, Advertising companies, Governments and anyone else who would like to snoop on your browsing and downloading habits.
Why do I need to use a VPN?
Today it is more important than ever to hide your online activity from outside entities; what you do online is your own business and nobody else's.
When you use a VPN all your internet activity is going through your VPN server so anything you do online is tied to that address and not your own.
When you connect to a VPN you may even notice your internet speed has increased because the VPN encrypts your web traffic even from your Internet provider so if they are slowing your internet speed using a VPN will bypass your internet providers speed throttler.
You can also use a VPN to access websites and services normally blocked/censored by your government, school, workplace etc such as using Facebook from countries or workplaces that that website is blocked in.
By using a VPN you can feel safe in the knowledge that the only footprint you are leaving behind on the internet is that of your VPN server.
How do I use a VPN?
IP Vanish has a 7 day money back no questions asked policy so I would suggest trying them out and if you don't like the service you can always easily cancel to get your money back.
Signup for IP Vanish here
Download and install the IP Vanish Software
Login to IP Vanish using the username and password you chose when you signed up.
Click on response time in the main window so the program sorts the VPN servers from closest to farthest because we need to choose the closest server to connect for the best speed.
In my example; Los Angeles is the closest server so I click on the server name, make sure that 'Open VPN is chosen (highest anonymity) and that auto-reconnect is checked; then click on Connect.
Go to http://www.whatismyip.com and you will see location and IP address displayed is now completely different to your own so congratulations your VPN Connection is successful.
Step six (optional)
Click on Preference from the main IP Vanish window; and copy my settings (below) this will make it so your computer will automatically start running your VPN when it reboots and connect to the last server you were connected to at the highest anonymity settings.
I just want to let you know that Hidemyass the most kickass VPN is running a summer special between August 1 - 31 2013 and if you have have ever considered trying out a VPN then this month is the best time to try it out.
Hidemyass Holiday Special pricing is as follows:
Month to month was $11.52 until 31 July this price is now $9.99 per month
Here is where the real savings come in.
Pay 6 months in advance was $49.99 and is now $39.99 but that kicks your monthly cost down to $6.67 per month saving you $3.32 per month.
Pay yearly price was $78.66 but is now $59.99 which is equivalent to $4.99 per month which is pretty fantastic if you ask me.
It is very rare for Hide My Ass to have these deals so this really is good opportunity of lock in cheap prices for your VPN service because if you sign up at these prices then that is the price you pay for life.
If you do not know what a VPN is then let me explain:
Hidemyass VPN (or any VPN really) is a service that you use to watch or listen content that is generally restricted to you ie Hulu.com if you live in a different country to the USA.
You can also download torrents using a VPN safe in the knowledge that nobody can see your real IP address; so basically a VPN conceals where you are in the world to surf or download anonymously.
You can read more about how a VPN works by reading this page
So you have a Hidemyass account and would like to be able to use your VPN on your Android phone or tablet to watch region locked youtube videos, watch Hulu Plus, Netflix etc.
If you don't have a Hidemyass VPN account please visit this link for some more information.
If you follow these simple instructions you will have it up and running in no time flat.
1. Go to your Hidemyass control panel (link) and click on PPTP servers where you will find your PPTP password with a whole list of Server IP addresses you will need to use when you set up your phone or tablet with Hidemyass.
2. On your android phone or tablet you will need to set up a pin number, password OR security pattern so your phone or tablet is locked when you are not using it; this is unfortunately mandatory when setting up VPN's on an android device.
To do this you will need to access your android phone or tablets system settings > Security > Screen lock > then choose either a pattern, pin or Password.
3. On your android device please go to your system settings > under Wireless & Networks there will be a "More" which you will need to select and then select VPN.
4. Select 'Add VPN' and enter any name you like to identify your Hidemyass VPN on your phone; you could put Hidemyass or even Hidemyass California ect if you want to enter multiple Hidemyass IP addresses.
You will need to go back to your PPTP page in your HMA control panel to select a IP from a city closest to you; for example if California is the closest city to you then you might like to select USA, California, Los Angeles (LOC1 S1) which has the IP address of 18.104.22.168
Make sure you leave the PPP encryption box ticked before selecting 'save'
5. Now in the VPN menu you will have a new item; the VPN you just created so please select that and enter your Hidemyass username and the password from the HMA PPTP page it is up to you but you might like to check the box to save your account information so you do not need to enter your password each and everytime you wish to connect your VPN.
6. Your android device will now display a key in the top left hand corner of the screen which indicates you are connected to the Hidemyass VPN network.
7. To disconnect from the HMA VPN you will need to select the VPN from the VPN menu in the system settings OR selecting the connected VPN from the pull down menu top of your android device and selecting 'disconnect'
If you don't have a Hidemyass VPN account please visit this link for some awesome prices.